Friday, September 4, 2009

Curious George Puzzle Blocks

This is a project that I have been really excited to do for a long time and I finally had a chance to do it.
I recently taught myself how to decoupage and since then I have been fighting off the urge to stick cute patterned paper on every flat surface that I see. This project is merely an extension of that. I found this great vintage story book that was published in 1947 at an antique shop in Seattle. It was a little battered and had some missing pages, but I thought it would be great raw material to work with. It had several stories in it, but the one that really stood out to me was Curious George because my Katie is a huge fan of monkeys. I decided to make some ABC blocks with Curious George puzzles on them.
Four of the sides have different pictures from the book. I cut them apart and decoupaged them onto some ABC blocks.

I have made similar blocks before using just patterned paper and stickers. I cut and sanded the blocks myself in previous projects, which was a super pain in the butt. I found some ready made ABC blocks for a really great price at a craft store, so I thought I would try those out for this project- much better!


I like the fact that the storybook pages become puzzles when you take them apart. The puzzle is harder to put together than one might think because you have to figure out which side of the block matches the picture that you are putting together.

The other two sides have ABC letters. My original plan was to fancy the letters up or cover them with paper, but they were such a perfect match for the pictures that I decided to leave them how they were.
I am happy with how these turned out and I can't wait to make more out of other old story books. I will be listing them in my Etsy shop, so be sure to stop by and check them out!

1 comment:

  1. That is so super cute! I want to make some for my girls - let's have a get-together day and you can teach me how to do that.

    ReplyDelete