Thursday, May 28, 2009

First Birthday Cake

My baby turns 1 today. This really has nothing to do with Nadia's Place, except for the fact that this little business would not exist if it were not for her and the 10 weeks I spent in bed while I was pregnant with her. This cake is the creation that I made t0 celebrate her birthday. I wish I had taken better pictures of it before it got mangled.

Nadia was happy with her cake. I have never claimed to be a cake decorator. I have never taken a class or been taught the finer arts of cake decorating, so I was pretty impressed with myself when I managed to throw this little masterpiece together. (I'm not above bragging!)
The bottom layer was a marble cake with a banana cream filling. The top layer was a strawberry 7-up cake with a chocolate chip buttercream filling. The cake was big enough to serve about 70 people, but the 40 people at the birthday party devoured every last crumb of it, so I guess it tasted OK. Or maybe I just didn't serve enough food. Hmmm....
This little bear on the top was my favorite part. She was reserved for the birthday girl, much to the dismay of all of the children at the party. I had a hard time making her face turn out right, but I think she turned out OK in the end. I didn't notice that the 1 was backwards until I looked at the pictures of it. Ooops!

This is Nadia, enjoying, or rather destroying, the fruits of my labor!

1 comment:

  1. That is one impressive birthday cake! My boys have always had those Wilton character cakes. I don't know if I would dare to try something as ambitious as this. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete